Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Homage to Food

If you read my previous post, it will come as no surprise to you when I say that I love food. I don't just like to put food into my mouth, I like to read about it, look at photos of food, watch others make food and browse stores with kitchen gadgets. The funny thing is that I don't cook much. I like to, don't get me wrong, but I don't do it.

I just spent fifteen minutes reading the August Cooking Light and I'm practically giddy! Take this recipe, for instance: Ancho Chicken Tacos with Cilantro Slaw and Avocado Cream. Are you kidding me?! That just sounds delightful. Pair those with a blackberry margarita and I'm in heaven. Who comes up with this stuff?


And the Food Network - who's brilliant idea was that? Don't get me wrong, I like House Hunters and its international companion, but put it in the same time slot as Cupcake Wars or Iron Chef America, and there is no choice to be made.

I have a true respect for people who mix flavors and ingredients and end up with a masterpiece rather than a gelatinous glob of inedible goo. In anesthesia school I joked that I would become a caterer should I flunk out . . . truth is, my brain functions a bit more on the scientific side than the creative one.

This time of year creates a gorgeous pallet at the farmers' market and produce stand alike. The hues of tomatoes alone create one heck of a bouquet. Heirloom tomatoes, for instance, are so beautiful I could cry (sniff).


I know, to each his own. I find beauty in avocados (a perfect gift from God, thank you). And when you add in lime juice, tomato and cilantro: whoa baby!

And while we're on the subject, consider nectarines, cherries and plums. My goodness!


My grandfather would disagree, but I'm also a huge fan of the cucumber. Talk about versatile! Have you sipped ice water infused with cucumber? Enjoyed an herbed cucumber sandwich at a summer tea or shower? And pickles . . . well, that's a topic of its own!

Colors, textures, aromas, flavors - what's not to love?! (Thank you google for the eye candy.) I am so glad I am a human being.

No comments:

Post a Comment