Saturday, July 9, 2011

Beignets

Recipe #1: Beignets


Here is my first attempt at Haitian cooking (although, one could argue the origin of beignets is a bit French, a bit Creole, a bit . . . )
Anyway, they were as much fun to make as they were to taste! Grant was disappointed they didn't taste like donuts or a funnel cake, but I can imagine many variations in our future. While I have missed my gas range since moving to this new house, I was happy not to have it during this adventure.


The recipe calls for overripe bananas, but diced apple (or chunky applesauce) or nectarine would be great too.  Mmm, or pear . . . These "sweet fritters" certainly lived up to their name.

"Hey Eric, where's the burn ointment?"

1 comment:

  1. Hi! Enjoyed reading about your family! And I learnt a lot about adopting from Haiti, my family and I are adopting a little one from China. Can also empathize on asking God to send you a buyer! It would be great if we had one too! I'll be following you on your journey! Oh we are also fundraising through Wild Olive Tees. Take care.

    ReplyDelete