Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Mama Is About To Lose It

I've had many people say things like
"how do you hold it together"
through this very long adoption process?

Wanna know?
Sometimes I don't.

Like tonight, for instance.

Why do I torture myself reading the posts on the Adopting from Haiti Facebook page?

(Because I love some of these families as if we've actually met;
We've walked this long road together and shared the same burdens,
and I love sharing in their joys.)

When I read posts about the stage we are in now though,
it's too much for me sometimes.

"How long did it take to receive your child's passport?"

7 days
9 days
10 days
2 weeks and 1 day
3 weeks, exactly


What, exactly, do these agencies do differently that my very well paid attorney is not doing?

We weren't notified until 6 weeks in passport processing that our son's photos were missing,
and now,
5 weeks later,
(yes, that's 11 weeks waiting so far)
we still know nothing.

When does our son catch a break??
When will it be his turn?
When can I stop praying for our file and our process and our attorney?

It's incredibly intimidating dealing with foreign attorneys in such a fragile process.

If I'm assertive, I risk alienating the one individual with access to my son's legal documents and who holds the thousands of dollars worth of paperwork that will eventually get him out of Haiti.

I hate this game.
I hate the uncertainty and lack of communication and lack of a liaison with whom to discuss these issues.
I hate the wait
and the years of loneliness and yearning that my child has had to bear.
I hate the complete and utter lack of control over my child's immediate future.

I made our attorney angry in September of 2012 when I asked for proof of Dimitry's file submission to IBESR . . . 
I'm afraid it may be time to risk it again.
This mama needs answers and I'm not willing to accept 
"These things generally take time" any more.

I want to know when we can expect to have his passport.
I want to be done with this stage and into USCIS.
I want my son home this year.




No comments:

Post a Comment