Friday, November 8, 2013

An Opportunity to Share

This week, I had the opportunity to share some of our adoption story with Kelly Ellison, Adoption Coach Extraordinaire, and her listeners on Voice America Radio.

(I shudder to think what I will sound like.)
 
(yes, I swiped this off google.com)

Occasionally, I still get asked if my mother is home when I answer the phone, so who knows which Chipmunk I will sound like on the radio.

(Stop laughing)

We had the fortunate experience of meeting Kelly through Adoption & Beyond when we attended our international adoption conference. As an adoptive parent (of a gorgeous little girl named Mia), Kelly knows, first hand, the idiosyncrasies and red tape that make up the adoption process.

She has made it her purpose to assist and direct other adoptive families through the challenging and intimidating task of fundraising to bring a family together. With her help, we held a very successful dinner and silent auction early in our adoption journey.

(Funny now how long ago that was, and how naive we were then.)
 
She graciously led us through the logistics of planning and carrying out a fundraiser that would attract our supporters and get them involved in our family's adventure, that is adoption.
Kelly has continued to be a friend and a confidant throughout this long process.
 
It was a bit intimidating to think about my voice and my story being broadcast over the air waves . . . but the conversation went smoothly, and the time flew by.

 
If you are considering adoption, please hear this: 
surround yourself with people who support your cause.
 
I cannot imagine for one moment, having family and friends who do not accept our decision to adopt and look forward to seeing our family completed.
 
There may be siblings and parents and friends who think adoption is crazy and too expensive and too uncertain --
they are entitled to their opinions.
 
What is crucial in the adoption process, is being sure of the decision yourself.
 
Are there children in need of families?
 
Woah Baby, you betcha.
 
Are you meant to be one of those families?
Only you know that, for sure.
 
Do your homework.
Talk to other adoptive families.
Join social networking sites that discuss the issues and the process and the concerns you may face.
Find others like yourself.
Do the research.
Ask LOTS of questions.
Pray about it.

 
The road is long and can be hard -
for some, more than others,
but hear this:
It is worth it.
 
It is disheartening to think about the years my son has lost in an orphanage.
Does he know any better? No
But you and I both know that institutional living is not the nurturing environment of a family,
no matter how good the orphanage and staff are.
 
I pray that these years have still left his heart soft enough to absorb all the love and support we will give him.
I pray that the scars his soul will carry won't keep him from reaching his potential.
I pray that our family will fill his cup and allow him to be vulnerable for the first time in his young life.
 
Has it been expensive?
(Do you hear that laughing or is it just in my head??)
Oh yeah, it's expensive.
 
Has it really taken that long?
We met our son when he was 4 years old . . . he turns 8 in January.
That's too long.
 
Would I do it again?
You betcha, because I know the love I have for him and the blessings I have received in my life that can be shared.
 
Please listen in to Kelly's show if you are interested.
She has a lot of wisdom and a lot of great resources and contacts to share.
The podcast will air on Saturday, November 9th 12:00 pm PST / 2:00 pm CST / 3:00 pm EST
 
The link below will take you to the podcast.
Go there. See for yourself. 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 



No comments:

Post a Comment