Friday, March 2, 2012

Ode to Grandparents

God knew what he was doing when he made grandparents.
Nuff said.

Grandmas watch your kids, even when they have runny noses, a fever, or the dreaded tummy ache . . . and all that goes along with that ailment.
Grandpas let kids hand them tools and lay on a creeper to "help" in the garage.
Grandmas put extra eggs in the muffin mix to sneak in protein for their little skinny grandkids.
Grandpas throw kids into the air, just to listen to them giggle repeatedly, despite their aching backs.
Grandmas act as chaperones on preschool field trips and go to holiday parties at school when mamas and daddies cannot get away from work.
Grandpas keep candy bars and little tiny bottles of water in the garage fridge, just for their munchkins' snack.
Grandmas and Grandpas have sleepovers so mom and dad can have an occasional date night (THANK YOU).
Grandparents understand the importance of Sunday school, time in the McDonald's play area (ugh), frequent snack time, swinging on a sunny day in January, and napping with a favorite lovey (and recognizing  when it needs to be washed).


My grandparents are / were great.
One gave us graham crackers with chocolate icing for a snack and, much to my mom's dismay, let us dip strawberries in sugar. We played Cooties and word games. She had the most beautiful peonies in her yard. There were dried peppers hanging in her kitchen, and she always smelled of rose water.
My other grandma let me watch Haley Mills'  Parent Trap over and over again. She cut the crusts off my sandwiches and taught me about Henry, the Rat Fink.
My Grandpa Baker smelled of peppermint and wore slacks every day.
My Grandpa Dick hid chocolate in the den, and always helped us find it to have a little bit.

Despite my fond memories of time with my grandparents, I have to say that our parents are absolutely fabulous grandparents.
The sacrifices they make to see my children, spend special time with them and make memories is awesome.
I'm not sure that words can possibly do justice for the gratitude and appreciation we have for our parents and the role they play in our kids' lives.
We are doubly blessed.



No comments:

Post a Comment