Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Autumn

It's October, have I mentioned that?
Harvest moon, season's changing, pumpkins and mums . . . oh yeah, and volleyball. Bleh.

My husband is a high school volleyball coach which, to put it mildly, less than thrills me. Okay, it sucks and I despise it. There.

Every year I try to be a big girl and put on my "understanding wife" tee shirt when the honeymoon of summer togetherness is abruptly halted by sports conditioning, weekend tournaments, morning practice and little league. It's all fine and dandy for the 15-18 year olds learning teamwork and sportsmanship and flirting with their handsome coach. For me, it's udder abandonment.

This happens to be the second week of October when . . . yep! right on schedule . . . it's time for a pity party.

The past few seasons I have made a fervent effort to be visible with my children at his games. I believe it's beneficial for our family and the girls on the team to be reminded that we are a unit, a team of our own, and we belong to each other. The players typically fawn over our kids while I stand back and fill the role of chauffeur for "coach's" darlings. We usually bring daddy a drink and make no apologies for loving on him a bit before heading home prior to the varsity game starting (mama too).

This season has been different. We've been working on selling on our house since August 2010 and I've been armpit deep in adoption paperwork since March 2011. It's about to pay off! Our prior home is finally under contract and our official, translated, stamped / authenticated / legalized by everyone in every position dossier is packed up nicely in its Fed Ex mailer ready to fly! I've been a bit too busy this year to make appearances at games. I've barely kept my children fed while working every day, running to tae kwon do (my little guy kicked it at his 1st tournament last week: gold medal in his age / ranking division! Woo hoo GW! We're so proud), keeping 2 homes presentable and checking off my paperwork to-do list. Our "big fundraiser," the obvious attempt to unite friends, family, associates and acquaintances with generosity on their hearts and minds in one location for one cause is four days away. Four days.

Despite my attempts to delegate, say "yes" to anyone who offers to help, and plan like crazy, there have been a few minor issues arise already. Change of kitchen staff (thank you God for Deb and her willingness to help . . . or inability to say no, whichever), unexpected transportation of auction items (please protect us from potholes tomorrow night Lord), and of course the lack of RSVPs.

Really, is anyone good at RSVPing? I know I'm not, but I had to ask for a head count for dinner. Please understand if you come and the food is gone - you didn't tell me you were coming, after all - but please come anyway!!
 
Oh yeah, and there is a volleyball tournament that morning. Did you expect less? It's okay though. I'll coordinate dinner and auction table and chair set up, steam table assembly, food and auction item delivery and set up, sign placement, banner hanging, venue decorating, laptop and projector set up and presentation cuing, childcare coordination, manpower for breakdown . . . and manage a shower and a new dress in time for guests to arrive. I hope my husband makes it in time. Does it make me sound bitter to say that I hope they play lousy, are done in single elimination play, and arrive home early? I really could use my man by my side on Saturday - the earlier, the better.
 
Some of my biggest supporters will be noticeably absent, unfortunately. My dear friends, fellow Haitian traveler, "Mother to Haiti" calling, financial supporting MDs will be out of town on business. My M&M toting, anesthesia delivering, supportive sister will be traveling elsewhere, as well. My BFF from grad school lives in, and will remain in, Virginia during the event. The ultra-cool, "I wanna be like her" adoptive mom who runs a successful business while always having great hair is on the other side of the pond doing God's great work. Thank you Lord for our parents, siblings and besties from church who are by us giving us love!
 
You know, there really isn't any reason not to come.
What? You didn't RSVP as requested?
Then you better eat a snack, just in case, but come to the Liberty Street Community of Christ Church on Saturday, October 15th from 5-7pm and hear our story. Look at our photos. Meet some great folks.
www.gotchagiftregistry.com

Oh, and if you have a bit to spare, bring your checkbook or your wallet - we've got boys to bring home :)



No comments:

Post a Comment