Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Weekly Rant

I've felt peaceful this week, despite the looming deadline for our attorney to submit paperwork to IBESR prior to the Hague Convention regulations being put into place.

I spoke with Ashley and Shasta and feel absolutely certain that with them is where we will move forward. They have Haiti's orphans in their hearts and understand our heartache, and that of other families in similar situations, who wait and long for their faraway children.

That nice feeling has changed though.

(CODE: Be forewarned. Read at your own risk. Angry adoptive mama about to write.)

Today, the attorney emailed.

I have very little to say because I am so angry that I have literally been gritting my teeth for the past three hours.  I was fortunate to have a short day at work . . . although that allows me to come home and fume about his words and lack of all caring or motivation regarding our case or adoptions in his country at all.

jackass

With tears in my eyes, I sip a glass of Riesling at 1:45 in the afternoon . . .
ears burning and blood pressure pumping . . .
So, I returned his email.
No more nicety nice -
do not worry friends, I kept my respectful balance and tone -
however, I let him have it.

Why has our dossier been in your office for 11 months with no urgency until we informed you of this impending deadline?

Why haven't you been more proactive and diligent in pursuing this adoption when you were handsomely paid to do so?

Why has our child lost another year of life living without a family who loves him?

People have written that foreign adoptees are too cordial and polite to these individuals paid to represent them and their child's interests at the highest courts. Why do we continue to politely ask for updates instead of demanding the information we should be getting on a regular basis from the one responsible for advocating on our behalf? It is so difficult to be assertive without fearing coming across as disrespectful or harsh, yet we witness their behavior that is less than ideal, and say nothing. We wait so long with our hands tied. We pray and cry and keep paying for extensions and updates and supportive measures. When is it okay to ask for answers?

When you are about to change roads, that's when.

We probably won't be submitted on time, and ya know what?
That's okay.
Not that Dimitry will be institutionalized longer, but that his file and our adoption will finally be in the hands of people who truly care about him getting a family forever.

To those of you who may not be submitted either, it's okay.
God's hand is surely still in this,
and maybe,
it'll be even better this way.

In the meantime,
look at this -
https://www.facebook.com/#!/media/set/?set=a.464912393539248.113982.291700304193792&type=1

Holy mackerel!
Brings tears to my eyes again :)

1 comment:

  1. Dena- my thoughts are with you and Eric on the journey you are taking. I can't wait for the day you get to bring this little boy home.

    ReplyDelete